Island Travel Tips
- Waterproof Your Gear
Balmy island breezes can carry moisture into every crack and crevice. To keep sensitive gear such as cameras or portable stereos dry and
rust free, wrap two tablespoons of uncooked rice with cheesecloth. Place the rice wrap in plastic bags and use those bags to store your moisture sensitive items.
- Aloe Aids
Plagued by bug bites and over-burned shoulders? On many warm climate islands there is a profusion of Aloe Vera Plants. This cactus like plant offers a host of medicinal cures. Cut a leaf open and use the gel for cuts, burns, and skin irritation. Many Caribbean islanders even mix the gel with juice for upset stomachs.
- Better Suncreen
Don’t just count on sunscreen to protect your skin. Use antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, and E to help prevent skin damage. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables if tanning.
- Road Rules
Driving in the islands can be an unsettling experience if you do not know the rules. For example, in the U S Virgin Islands you drive on the left side of the road. To remind you, tape a hand-drawn arrow on the dashboard pointing left.
The following two tabs change content below.
If you like the articles we publish, maybe you can be one of our writers too! Make travel plans, then write a story for us! Click the green 'gonomad' above to read our writer's guidelines.
Latest posts by GoNomad (see all)
- Horses and Hills At Mammoth Lake in the Mountains of California - July 25, 2016
- The Sound of Good Fat: Macademia Nuts in Guatemala - July 24, 2016
- Tagong: The Wild West of Sichuan Province - July 23, 2016
- Cruising the Red Sea: Nose Jobs, Temples, and Ancient Egyptian Treasures - July 22, 2016
- Seattle Music, Dance and Theater Festivals - July 20, 2016